4 Ways You Can Keep Your Home Safe From a Fire

Fire Restoration Columbus Ohio

How to Keep Your Home Safe From a Fire

Home fires are destructive and stressful. As a homeowner or business owner, you will want to follow the following fire prevention tips to ensure the safety of your property.

  1. Make sure you have working smoke detectors. In most states, it is illegal for a landlord not to provide smoke detectors to the tenants. Just having a smoke detector is not enough, you need to make sure you have the right kind! Ionization and photoelectric are two types of smoke detectors. Ionization smoke detectors are made to detect the large particles of smoke given off from a flaming fire. Photoelectric smoke detectors are designed to detect smaller smoke particles given off by a smoldering fire. Most home fires start by a little smoldering fire that at first fills the home with smoke. The smoke suffocates the inhabitants of the home in their sleep. Unless they have a photoelectric smoke detector that can detect smoke. Do sufficient research to find the right smoke detectors for your home. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says the best thing to do is have both types in your home. Be sure to test and replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you change your clocks twice a year. There should be one on every floor, one in each bedroom and one outside of every bedroom.
  2. Never leave your stove unattended! According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the leading cause of house fires. Keep flammable items such as dish towels, drapes, and paper towels away from the stove and oven.
  3. Clothes dryers are a major source of home fires. The best way to prevent your dryer from bursting into flames is to clean the lint filter after every load. Also, clean the lint that accumulates at the bottom of the lint trap. If the clothes dryer is getting hot but the clothes are not drying this is a sign that the lint trap is clogged and needs cleaning.
  4. Do not overload circuits with extension cords. When extension cords are misused, they can overheat and cause a home fire. It is a lot less expensive to pay for extra outlets than to have a house fire and to have to pay for fire restoration.

We are only human, and despite our best efforts, home fires will still happen. Are you are in need of fire restoration Columbus, Ohio? Call Allphase Restoration for all of your fire restoration needs.